+44 (0)1865 582382
estate agents
This article is mainly aimed at British citizens who are looking to buy a property in France next year, either for use as a holiday home or permanent home.  Brexit has meant an increase in the administration needed to move to France, either on a short-term or long-term basis.  If you would like assistance navigating the new administrative processes, we can help.  Simply get in touch......
The Brexit transition period came to an end on the 31st December 2020. The process for buying a property in France remains unchanged but, as a British citizen, there will be new rules about how you can use the property. The good news is that living permanently in France and, extended visits (e.g to a holiday home) will still be perfectly possible. 
In this article we’ve summarised the major changes that will affect both second home owners and those looking to move permanently to France.  The main difference is the admin required so we have partnered with a company that specialises in helping clients navigate the paper trail.  Do let us know if you would like to hear more about their services.
Changes for second home owners: 
After the Brexit transition period Britons with second homes are expected to be considered ordinary non-EU visitors and subject to a rule of spending no more than 90 days in any 180-day period in the Schengen Zone. The 90 days can be continuous or in several shorter trips, so for example you could spend a 45 day period in France, return to the UK for 2 weeks and then return for another 45 days. If you spend your maximum 90 day allocation in France you could then not return for 90 days. Although this change sounds restrictive most second home owners spend significantly less time than this at their properties over the course of a year. 
For longer stays (4-6 months) then it will be possible to apply for a long-stay visa (Visa de Long Séjour Temporaire). If you’re eventually looking to retire/move to France permanently then a residents permit, the Carte de Séjour, would be necessary. 
The EHIC travellers’ health card system has been replaced by the 'GHIC' card system.  As far as we can determine, the only difference between the two systems is the 'E' and the 'G'.  However, as with the original EHIC system, health cover provided by the system is limited, so it’s still advisable to obtain private health insurance, covering you for the duration of any trips to France.  Most standard travel insurance policies cover you for up to 90 days as standard, but it's worth checking your policy details.
You will still be able to let your property. 
Moving permanently to France: 
British citizens who wish to move to France after 31 December 2020 are required to obtain a long-stay visa before going to their local prefecture to file their application for a residency permit. The ordinary residency requirements of all other third-country citizens now to apply to UK citizens. In due course, it is possible the UK and France may enter into a bilateral agreement, or there may be a new, wider agreement with the EU but that’s unlikely to be imminent. 
If you are travelling to France with the aim of living there then you will have to apply for a visa before leaving. Currently there are 2 visa options for those looking to gain French residency. One requires you to apply for a Carte de Séjour within two months of arrival and another where you have up to a year before you need to apply for the Carte de Séjour. 
Visa applications are be done via the French consulate in the UK.  As mentioned above, we have partnered with a company that can assist you with the paperwork. Sufficient financial resources and comprehensive health insurance are the important criteria.
For a little light relief from all things 'admin' and Brexit related, you might like to view our portfolio of character properties in France, click here


Rightmove Zoopla Smart Currency