France is the most popular holiday destination in the world, welcoming around 80 million tourists a year so there’s plenty of scope to tap into the demand. A gite business in France offers so much freedom - an income generated on your own terms:
* you can open your doors as often as you like
* there is no need to commute
* you can get creative and design a look that's entirely unique to you
* it can be a second income stream to run along side other work you might be doing
* you have the space for large gatherings of family and friends, while the space pays its' way the rest of the year.
* you can specialise in catering for clients that share your hobbies or interests - perhaps birders, budding chefs or bikers? The list is a niche or as broad as you choose - either way, you'll meet lots of interesting people along the way.
When considering what sort of income a property might produce, a useful figure to bear in mind is that in general, and obviously dependent on the condition of the property and the enthusiasm with marketing, but the income generated by a property is often around 10% per year of the value of the property.
It is important to know that if you need a mortgage to fund your purchase, your means of repaying the mortgage must not be from income generated from the property. Mortgage lenders will want to see a separate income stream for repayments.
Unless you are fortunate enough to be a dual-EU national, you will need to consider the post-Brexit visa requirements for British citizens wanting to move to France. This is more an admin hurdle than a barrier and we can put you in touch with visa specialists who can help you navigate the process.
We've cherry-picked a selection of the best camping, B&B and gite properties for sale in France. You can find a quick link to all the details here.
Here's our pick of the bunch
5-bed farmhouse with independent gites & studio
Lovely garden & views
Peaceful & private location
Good access to ferry ports
Video tour available
You can find out full catalogue of properties here.